Church Words – Holiness
God’s holiness is what separates Him from all other beings, what makes Him separate and distinct from everything else. God’s holiness is more than just His perfection or sinless purity; it is the essence of His “other-ness,” His transcendence (set apartness). God’s holiness embodies the mystery of His awesomeness and causes us to gaze in wonder at Him as we begin to understand just a little of His majesty. He is one of kind.
Completely unique – love, mercy, wisdom, etc… inability to be defined
1 John 1:5 – God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (pure)
Revelation 15:4 – Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. (alone – only you)
Exodus 15:11 – “Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness…” (different)
Psalm 145:17 – The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. (Just / right)
As obedient Children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
– Obedient children (Romans 8:12-17)
- Do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance. (Romans 12:1-2)
- Holy in your conduct (sinless purity)
– Be holy as He is holy. (Leviticus 20:26) (As He is supremely valuable – seek after that which is supreme – Jesus)
And if you call on Him as Father who judges impartially according to each one’s deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.
– Judges impartially according to each one’s deeds (Matt 16:27)
– Conduct yourselves with fear.
– ransomed not by perishable things but with the blood of Christ.
- Like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. (The gospel is the display of God’s holiness and His glory)
- The cross: This is how much He was willing to pay to make you happy in His holiness.
He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
– He was foreknown before the foundation of the world.
– Was made manifest for you. (He has forever been holy)
– God raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory.
– So that your faith and hope are in God.